AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Rotator Cuff Repair - 29827

Default Rotator Cuff Repair - 29827

AAPC: Back to School
    Is this documentation enough to use code 29827, Arthroscopic repair of rotator cuff tear:
    1. Rotator cuff tear
    2. Bony impingement syndrome
    3. AC (acromioclavicular) joint DJD
    4. Adhesive capusulitis
    5. Type 1 SLAP lesion
    6. Multiple adhesions

The scope was introduced through the posterior portal into the glenohumeral joint. The joint was insufflated with NS. After thorough observation, the above diagnosis was noted. An anterior portal was made with isolation across an 18-gauge spinal needle. The ArthroWand was introduced and adhesiolysis was performed, debridement of the type I SLAP lesion was performed, and debridement of rotator cuff tear was performed.

No...(in my opinion)...description is of debridement...not the tendon repair.
    Rahul Srivastava, CPC

The only thing documented is a debridement, definitely nothing to support a RCR.
    Mary, CPC, CANPC, COSC

Columbia, MO

I agree but be prepared for the physician to disagree. I had one with not even that much doc and I would not code it, the physician was livid and hired another consultant, paid her a ton of money and she agreed with him that it was sufficient. SO if you are keeping tally we have 3 nos so far.

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H

...exactly! It quite obvious there is no documentation, I felt rather have some opinions & myself prepped before the doc flags.

Covington, LA

Sorry, you cannot bill for rotator cuff repair; however, you should use this as an opportunity to teach your physician about the importance of documentation and the requirements to bill the Rotator Cuff Repair.