Interesting scenario. I am a CPC, and code for a Radiology group. However, I just finished reviewing the guidelines in CPT for the Critical Care codes in question, and it does in fact state in the very first line, "Critical care is the direct delivery by a physician(s) of medical care for a critically ill or critically injured patient." So, to my understanding by stating the possibility of more than one physician that they both could bill. However, how do you know that both physicians are billing and not just the one is trying to bill this twice? Time plays a huge factor in these codes. They may each only be billed once for a 24 hour period. Was your husband seen in critical care for more than one day? Hope that helps a little bit.....
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join