I just took my CPC exam on Aug 15th for the first time and passed I finished school in January and planned on taking the exam right away but unfortunately my new job/training left me with little time to study. I purchased the CPC Exam Review book by Carol Buck and started studying on weekends. What really helped me was the CD rom which was included with the book. There is a pretest and a post-test, both modeled after the actual exam. It's good that you know what your areas of weakness are. I'm stronger in ICD-9 coding so what I did was take what I knew best and build from it. For instance, on certain questions I'd look for the dx code(s) first and that would usually narrow it down to two answers. I made a point to only spend a certain amount of time on each question and if I was totally perplexed I'd skip it, mark the page with a post-it flag (to find quickly to go back to later) and move on to the next. I also feel it's really important to read your coding guidelines and study them beforehand. I pulled out my old coding textbooks and reviewed some of the tests to practice this. Doing the mock exams beforehand helped me to find what worked best for me and I was so glad I had a strategy because those 5 1/2 hours really flew by fast! To sum it up I would say practice, practice, practice and find what works for you. Good luck!
- ICD-10 Training
- Exam Preparation
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Code Lookup with AAPC Coder
- Coding Data Files
- ICD-9 to ICD-10 Code Converter (FREE)
- Other ICD-10 Codes / Resources
- CPT Codes
- HCPCS Codes
- E/M Analyzer (FREE)
- CPT RVU Calculator (FREE)
- Risk Adjustment Search (FREE)
- PQRS Measure Search (FREE)
- Health Plan / Provider Policy Search (FREE)
- MACRA Calculator
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join