AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Consultations and Insurance Carriers

Default Consultations and Insurance Carriers

AAPC: Back to School
    I know that the contant consultation discussion is a problem because of Medicare's rigid rules and regulations, but I was wondering if all carriers follow the same rigid criteria. Most doctors seem to be concerned about a Medicare/Medicaid audit, but I was wondering if we should always use the same critieria for all carriers. We always require other offices to give us a request in writing for a consultation if it is a Medicare patient., but I know that some offices are not as insistent to have a written request in file if it is another carriers, such as Blue Cross or Blue Shield, etc. I was wondering if other carriers are getting involved in the audit frenzy regarding consultations.

If you follow the criteria of Medicare and Medicaid I would say that you will be safe with other carriers, since Medicare and Medicaid are so strict.

Similar Threads

1. Changing your address with insurance carriers
    By l1ttle_0ne in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-18-2014, 09:40 PM
  2. Consults and commercial carriers
    By LLovett in forum E/M
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-27-2009, 03:32 PM
  3. Coding for gestational carriers
    By ikalisky in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 0