AAPC - Back to school

Thread: H1n1

Default H1n1

AAPC: Back to School
    Wondering if anybody has any coding guidance regarding the H1N1 vaccine administration? I see on the CMS website (not Trailblazer) they commented in an "Overview" that they would be providing benefit for the H1N1 vaccine....but didn't mention administration. (I know we won't bill for the H1N1 vaccine when its provided by DSHS). I also found this link http://www.cms.hhs.gov/Emergency/Dow..._As_082609.pdf that addresses the billing of the administation for H1N1 but I got the feeling the steps are in affect in the event of a declared pandemic event??? They are referencing HCPCS code G9141; it answers how you would get a G0008 and a H1N1 vaccine admin paid at same DOS, but G9141 is not published, to my knowledge. Appreciate anyone passing along what they know. Thanks!

Rome, Georgia Chapter - Rome Coding Professionals

Default H1n1

Here is info from the AMA
    Healthcare News: AMA clarifies appropriate reporting for H1N1 vaccine code
    AUGUST 19, 2009 —
    The American Medical Association (AMA) issued a clarification regarding the appropriate method of reporting codes for the H1N1 (swine flu) vaccine and administration.
    It is appropriate to report general pandemic vaccine code 90663 (Influenza virus vaccine, pandemic formulation) for the H1N1 vaccine, according to a notification that was sent out to AMA listserv subscribers on August 12. Coders may report the appropriate immunization administration code (CPT codes 90465–90474) in conjunction with code 90663 for the administration of the vaccine, depending on the route of administration and the age of the patient.

You can also go to the CDC website and get more info.

CMS hosted a Physician Open Door Forum call last week and explained the method for billing, etc. The information is posted at this site: http://www.cms.hhs.gov/Emergency/Dow..._As_082609.pdf
    Jenny Berkshire, CPC, CEMC, CGIC

Red face H1n1

I am beginning to wonder if we are to bill the regular flu vaccine code now rather than the pandemic vaccine. I read the same thing from the AMA but now the information from the Blast indicates it is considered to be a regular flu. I cannot find anything yet from the CDC as to what we are to bill. I did not even see the G codes listed yet from the CDC.

Does anyone have concrete answers yet so I know what to do?