AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Medicare

Default Medicare

AAPC: Back to School
    I have a dr. Who has been with us since 08/01/2008 but the old office manager never sent in paper work to link to our group. When i became manager i did paper work and his effective date is 05/22/2009. My question is can i balance bill the patient the 20% of the allowed amount to the pt who had services before the dr. Effective date.

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So no claims were billed from 8/1/08 thru 5/22/09?

Laura, CPC, CEMC

Some were and some were put on hold

How were they billed and what was Medicares response?

I'm not really sure in your situation but I don't think you would be limited to only collecting 20%. Non-participating providers are subject to a limiting fee but other than that they can collect everything between what medicare paid and the limit.

I have never dealt with this from the stand point of a participating office with a non-credentialed provider. I have worked for providers that are in private practice and are non-participating. We collected our full fee (it was less than the limiting fee), mailed in a claim form and medicare paid the patient.

Laura, CPC, CEMC

Similar Threads

1. Medicare Annual Wellness and Welcome to Medicare visits
    By Borlickd in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-04-2013, 07:31 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-17-2012, 12:27 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-18-2011, 11:54 AM