AMA Comment: Supplies and materials provided by the physician (eg, sterile trays, drugs), over and above those usually included with procedures rendered, are listed separately. The guidelines indicate that the specific supplies and/or materials be listed and reported with CPT code 99070 or the specific HCPCS supply code. According to the CPT nomenclature, supplies and materials provided by the physician are reported only if they are "over and above" those usually included with the office visit or other services rendered.
Furthermore, CPT coding guidelines do not include a listing of procedure codes for which it is appropriate to separately report supply items (eg, surgical trays). Reimbursement of supplies and materials provided by the physician may vary among carriers. Third-party payers should be contacted to obtain specific reporting guidelines for supplies.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join