Coding with the X's

Smile Coding with the X's
    Exam Training Packages
    I am currently taking Medical Coding to get my CCS Certification; I wanted to know if anyone knew when we are suppose to use the X's after a code.

Can you clarify? are you referring to such as, 250.0x? We do this to indicate to a fellow coder that this would be the code but given the info we do not know which 5th digit is appropriate, but we put the x to indicate a 5th digit is required. Is this what you need?

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H

Default Thank you for responding :)
    For example; the X's to indicate how many skin tags were removed. I don't know when to use the X's because there was a question on 6 biopsies done during a colposcopy. I hope I make sence.

Thank you

I am not understanding still. Can you give an example of a procedure and how you think it should be coded. I have never used an X when coding. There is no modifier X, there may have been as a HCPC III code. Those were W, X, Y, and Z codes and modifiers, but all HCPC III codes were deleted many years ago.

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H

5. Default
    Are you indicating the "x" as in 'mulitiplication'? as in 17110 performed (warts x3)?
    ~Ursula, CPC~