AAPC - Back to school

Thread: hosptialist or surgeon discharge???

Default hosptialist or surgeon discharge???

AAPC: Back to School
    The hospitalist admitted the patient, and is the attending. Hospitalist billed the initial inpatient 99223. The patient had surgery during hospital stay. Hospitalist saw patient on day of discharge but did not report any codes. My thought is that since the hospitalist group is the admitting and attending that they should get the discharge code. Am I correct?

Who did the documentation for the discharge? That is who I would give the discharge. Of course, if the surgeon, and a major surgery, it will be a post op rather than a 99238/99239.

My questions is -- no one has reported the service. I know that post up is covered under global package, but since the hospitalist was the admitting and attending -- does he get the discharge service to report?

Sorry, forgot, the hospitalist has documented in the progress notes.

South Holland, IL

The hospitalist should get the discharge if he did the documentation. If it was not an elective surgery they can bill for the service and since he is the attending of record. Depending on if it was an outpatient (99217) or inpatient (99238) would be chosen unless the hospitalist has actually time noted in his documentation then he could get the 99239 if he saw the patient over 30 minutes.
    C Morenzoni

Thank you, that is what I thought. Just wanted to be sure before I contacted the hospitalist to let him know.