AAPC - Back to school

Thread: 2nd cast during post op

Default 2nd cast during post op

AAPC: Back to School
    Hi everyone, my question for today, Patient came for follow-up distal tibia fx short leg cast intact. No complaint. Dr. placed pt in a NEW short leg cast. Documentation do support charges for 99212, now should I bill the OV with mod 59 along with the new cast 29405? Thanks all for your help on advance.
    Mildred Nieves, CPC

North Carolina

I'm assuming your physician performed the initial fracture care.... the office visit would be a global service; therefore, not billable. If the patient had a complaint, not associated with the fracture care, you could bill the appropriate office level with modifier 24 and the appropriate diagnosis.

Since this is a re-application of a cast, you would bill 29405 with modifier 58
    Last edited by RebeccaWoodward*; 09-14-2009 at 09:11 AM. Reason: spelling

Thanks so much Rebecca!
    Mildred Nieves, CPC

I agree, and if the initial fracture care was itemized. I still would not charge for the EM unless it is very well documented. There is a component of EM in the cast application. Hope this helps.
    Lynn, CPC

Umm interesting! thanks Lynn orthopedic is kind of new to me I may have more question... thanks a lot for your help.
    Mildred Nieves, CPC

North Carolina

If your patient is being seen for the fracture care in addition to a new problem, unrelated to the fracture, it IS billable.

Patient returns for follow up visit of fractured wrist. (POST-OP) Patient also complains of knee stiffness and pain (Unrelated to post op)...Your charges may look like this....

Follow up for wrist....99024 (post op visit)
    and 99213-24 with knee related diagnosis

As Lynn stated, if it is properly documented, you are able to legitimately capture the non-related visit.

Thanks again Rebeca!
    Mildred Nieves, CPC

Long Island/New York

where would I find any documentation on how to code casts and reapplications of said cast? thanks.