AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Coding Marcaine with Medicare

Question Coding Marcaine with Medicare

AAPC: Back to School
    I am asking for any input on billing Medicare for Marcaine. According to their guidelines, they require you to use J3490 unclassifed drug - with an explanation and the NDC # listed, where as BCBS and the rest of the insurance companies use the actual S0020 which is specified for this particular drug. But, I am still getting rejections from Medicare with this information even after I spoke with a supervisor at Medicare
    Thanks, AJ

Default Marcaine

Hi, Mcare doesn't cover Marcaine using the S code. I checked the NCCI edits and it is excluded by Medicare. Sorry.

Default Sometime Pay

Thing is I have received Medicare payments at times, with special TLC on this code and resubmittals with the TCN #'s, but I was just looking to see if anyone new something that I might not! Thanks for your input, I do appreciate it.

keep in mind....just because you are getting paid...doesnt mean its right. You may end up having to refund Medicare.
    Mary, CPC, CANPC, COSC

Similar Threads

1. Marcaine and Medicare
    By complianceforhire in forum Billing/Reimbursement
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-23-2013, 08:13 AM
  2. Can you bill for Marcaine?
    By JJ in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-25-2011, 01:40 PM
  3. Marcaine discogram
    By Sephardic in forum Interventional Radiology