This sounds like a referral, not a consult. If the patient was "sent down the hall" with the intent of the Ophthalmologist to take over the care of the patient, this is a referral. If the patient was "sent down the hall" for the Ophthalmologist to give his professional opinion and then return the patient to the Optometrist for treatment, it's a consult. If this is a referral, both providers should be credited with a visit, but neither should use a consult code.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join