Well I would say you have to have an indicated purpose as to why you took that appendix out. Because per CPT book under 44955 it says when done for indicated purpose at time of other major procedure.
Also, under 44950 it says Incidental appendectomy during intra-abdominal surgery does not usually warrant a separate identification. If necessary to report add mod 52.
So you need a documented reason in order to bill for that add on code if done incidentally.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join