Use 87210 and 87210-59 per ACOG
Laboratory code 87210 Reporting Clarification
Can laboratory code 87210 (Smear, primary source with interpretation; wet mount for infectious agents [eg, saline, India ink, KOH preps]) be reported twice if a wet mount and KOH are performed?
CPT has provided coding guidance for this within the Microbiology subsection notes, which state "For multiple specimens/sites use modifier 59." Therefore, when a physician performs both a KOH and wet mount, he or she should report code 87210 twice with the modifier 59 (i.e., 87210, 87210 -59). The modifier 59 (Distinct Services) indicates that the second lab interpretation is distinct from the first and should be paid for separately. The KOH includes a whiff test which is why it is not appropriate to report code 87210 a third time if the whiff test is also performed.
It is always important to read the section notes of CPT which provide guidance for how some codes should be reported.
Please send questions and/or comments to email@example.com
ACOG Coding Workshops & Webcasts
Savonne Montue, MBA, RHIT, ACS-OB, COBGC
Manager, Coding Education
Donna Tyler, CPC, COBGC
Copyright Â© 2009 American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. All rights reserved.
- ICD-10 Training
- Exam Preparation
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Code Lookup with AAPC Coder
- Coding Data Files
- ICD-9 to ICD-10 Code Converter (FREE)
- Other ICD-10 Codes / Resources
- CPT Codes
- HCPCS Codes
- E/M Analyzer (FREE)
- CPT RVU Calculator (FREE)
- Risk Adjustment Search (FREE)
- PQRS Measure Search (FREE)
- Health Plan / Provider Policy Search (FREE)
- MACRA Calculator
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join