AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Doing Away with Consults

Unhappy Doing Away with Consults

AAPC: Back to School
    I heard of a proposal of doing away with consults. For those who does inpatient coding, they propose that a 99221-99223 be billed versus a consult code. Any thoughts on this? I was thinking would this not create a lot of denials when insurance sees two admit codes being billed on the same date range a pt is in the hospital (i.e. attending bills admit code first, then a hospitalist bills it again) ????? Has anyone heard of this at all, and have any additional info in regards to any problems it might create? Need feedback please. Thanks.

Seacoast- Dover New Hampshire

The final rule should be out in Nov I got that from an earlier post that I sent. We have a lot of MD who use these codes.
    Karen Barron, CPC
    Hampton New Hampshire Chapter

Hartford, CT

This is just a proposal right now. As Karen stated the final rule should be out Nov 1. CMS is proposing a modifier that the attending/admitting physician would use to differentiate his/her charges from any consultant.

Doreen, CPC

a modifier huh? That would be great! Thanks for the info

Northwest Ohio

where would i find this information?

They haven't developed the modifier yet. That would only come after they announce the final rule. But the info about their proposal is in the Federal Register, I posted the link in info on here previously. I am on my laptop so I don't have my favorites list to access it easily or I would repost.

Laura, CPC, CEMC