AAPC - Back to school

Thread: repair of diastasis recti

Default repair of diastasis recti

AAPC: Back to School
    How would I code this? I have done it several times but can never remember what it is. I know it is something easy. I am thinking it is just a vental hernia repair.

I get unlisted-22999

Thanks. That was one of the routes I was going. But if at all possible I avoid the unlisted codes.

Are they doing this inconjunction to another procedure? Usually when a physician does a panniculectomy, they repair is the diastasis recti.

Is your physician just repairing the diastasis recti?

Was there trauma to the muscle?

The physician repaired a diastasis recti and then with a separate incision performed an umbilical hernia repair. In the past I have only coded this as the hernia repair and had the diastasis repair included. Since this op note says there was actually a separate incision, I feel there should be a separate code billed. Which code is the question. I have considered several different routes with this. I have asked a couple of other coders. Everyone seems to have a different opinion. I would love to get some other points of view.

Similar Threads

1. repair of diastasis of recti muscle
    By schofielda in forum General Surgery
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-07-2013, 02:35 PM
  2. Diastasis recti
    By prmiller in forum Medicare Regulations
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-26-2011, 10:39 PM
  3. Diastasis Recti repair
    By nc_coder in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 0