Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Failed my COSC exam

Red face
    Medical Coding Books
    my confirmation email says i am allowed to use both books, plus hcpc's, cpt and icd-9. Mary, is there any advice you want to provide, i always value your opinion
    Angelica Stephens RHIT, CPMA, COSC, CCS-P, CPC, COC.
    Albuquerque, NM

Quote Originally Posted by astephens View Post
    my confirmation email says i am allowed to use both books, plus hcpc's, cpt and icd-9. Mary, is there any advice you want to provide, i always value your opinion
    make lots of notes on every empty page you can. There are a couple of trick questions (or at least I thought so). There were lots of names of procedures that you have to match up...IE Kidner, MBride, Chevron, Bankhart etc..write those down in your book if you dont know them by heart, there were even some I had NEVER heard of and I had 18 years of ortho before I took the test. Study up on spines if you dont do them alot. That was the only difficult part of the test to me since I dont like spines and avoid them like the plague

good luck!!!!
    Mary, CPC, CANPC, COSC

what references where you using, did you buy the practicum?
    Angelica Stephens RHIT, CPMA, COSC, CCS-P, CPC, COC.
    Albuquerque, NM

Quote Originally Posted by astephens View Post
    what references where you using, did you buy the practicum?
    no back then they still had the study guide and not the practicum so I made notes of things I new I would never remember in a pinch
    Mary, CPC, CANPC, COSC

5. Angry COSC Exam
    I recently failed the COSC. Most of my exam was on the spine. Our facility only does sports medicine. At the 30 minute warning I had only completed half of the test. Any tips on spine coding would be greatly appreciated.
    Greatly depressed

This is the only exam I did not pass on the first try. It was a witch! What helped me was coding op reports for areas I hadn't worked with, thankfully redacted and donated by some fellow coders. I have a strong background with spine, and that really wasn't an issue for me (although I still question the answer on one question!?!?!?). I felt the practicum was very true to life compared to what I was coding and my other study resources. What I found really helpful as well, was I took both coding companions and highlight differences in code choices, especially for things I may not have been as strong on. I spent a lot of time reviewing these differences and found it very helpful the next time I took the exam. I highlighted in yellow and then wrote notes in red, AND even tabbed certain areas for quick reference too.

Everyone works differently, but I found this plan was very beneficial to me.

Good luck!
    Machelle Morningstar, CPC, COC, CEMC, COSC
    AHIMA Approved ICD-10-CM/PCS Trainer

Default COSC Prep
    I am planning to take the COSC and I just purchased the COSC Exam guide and practice test bundle.

Is this test all op notes? I get that feeling from some of the comments here. I see that it has 150 question, does that mean 150 op notes?

So writing in your Coding companions is Ok?

8. Default
    Hi, I am sorry if I am hijacking your thread but I cant figure out how to make my own. I failed by 2 points on my COSC exam and I am rescheduled to take it right away again on Feb 16th. I bought the study guides and practice tests, they were helpful in general but not helpful for preparing me for the tests. My exam was just about all op notes, necks, backs, feet. I have also purchased from another site practice tests, but they dont look very through either. I think I got ripped off on that one. Also the dx codes were brutal. I mean really, in real life we don't need to figure out codes in 2.5 minutes. I have been doing ortho coding for about 4-5 years, so it's still sort of new to me, but that said I really thought I would pass the exam. I just dont know what else to study at this point. I finished in time and considered going back to read some of the ones I wasn't sure about, but at that point my brain was fried. I found that I became confused and all the op notes started running into each other so when I was looking at the codes I got confused as to what note I was coding. They say do the easiest first, but why not do the easiest last? I am going back into the exam believing I will pass. I just wish they gave rationals on the test like they do practice so I can learn from my mistakes.

Talking Cosc exam
    Hey Penny - Please drop me an email at kagal0816@verizon.net. I think that I might have information/material that could be helpful.

I am also scheduled to take the COSC.

Take Care, Karen

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12