Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Failed my COSC exam

Unhappy Failed my COSC exam
    Exam Training Packages
    Hey guys, I am looking for some good resources to study. I purchased and worked the practicum, but I am still needing improvement. What would you recommend?

Thanks

April

Default test
    why did you fail? how far is the practicum from the real test? did you buy the self study guide as well? what is your experience? i am taking the test next month, so you could see i am getting a bit nervous
    Angelica Stephens RHIT, CPMA, COSC, CCS-P, CPC, COC.
    Albuquerque, NM

I'm not sure what I missed. They just give you a pass/fail and what percentage were correct. I did purchase the practicum and it was helpful, but the test is more in depth (more codes per operative note). I have not had any formal training, but rather in office learning as I go for about two years. Hope this helps!

how many sections does the test have?
    Albuquerque, NM

i also just failed the cosc!!! i did pretty good on the practicum as well but am used to only coding for the finger to the elbow. i felt rushed for time and probably didnt read over the ops as good as i should have. it was very overwhelming. did u use any reference books?

there are practice test, however u have to pay for them but if u ask someone on this site who might already have it they might be able to fax or email it to u.
    if u do get one, could u please forward to me as well, i will do the same

i am scheduled for the retake on 12/12/09 so i need to get to it

to answer u astephens the test was not in sections it was nothing but op reports and they give u choices of cpt & icd-9 codes to choose from however if u do not have a reference book that tells u which procedures are inclusive with the others ur gonna be in trouble
    Good Luck!!!
    Last edited by michellelgrd; 09-25-2009 at 02:56 PM.

what is your area of expertise as it pertains to ortho?

i believe i did the worst on the hip and spine because i code only for the shoulder to the fingers. maybe we could practice together if u have experience in the hip and spine or even the feet areas i can help u with the others

I code everything but the spine or i should say as for the spine i only code for discographies and implant of pumps.i do have the coding companion from ingenix, i got the practicum and two years ago i got the self study guide.
    Albuquerque, NM

is there an all in one coding companion? i have the upper ortho and i know they have a lower, but they only allow you one for the exam

you can use both the upper and lower coding companions for the exam, I did
    Mary, CPC, CANPC, COSC

Default BOTH volumes of Ortho Coding Companion
    The official list of allowed / recommended references materials states specifically for the COSC "Both volumes of the Coding Companion"

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast