Pain Control

Cool Pain Control
    Medical Coding Books
    I am looking for a DX code for pain control. Does anyone know what it might be. I see all the others pain code and the generalized pain but I need pain control.

Thanks so much
    Randi

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...It's about learning to dance in the rain."

2. Smile
    If you are talking DX code, the specific pain code would be appropriate, since the actual diagnosis would be pain (not pain control), unless you have something more specific, if that makes sense.

Question
    I know when the doc gives me an specific area how to code for the pain, but this is the whole body.

So there is not a generic code for all over pain? Could I use generalized pain for several areas?

thanks for your help
    Randi

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...It's about learning to dance in the rain."

If it is several areas, do you have locations? Why wouldn't you use arm pain, foot pain, chronic pain, if that applies? There is only very specific area pain codes or generalized... then you follow it up with chronic or acute pain codes to further clarify.
    Heidi Thompson, CPC

look in the guidelines for pain. It will detail everything you wanted to know but were afraid to ask about pain codes. In summary it will tell you that the pain codes under category 338 are for pain management and pain control. Also they may be used in conjunction with the codes for the definitive condition or the site specific pain codes, and are to be first listed when the purpose of the encounter is pain control/pain amanagement.

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H