AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Excision MM back 21935 vs 1160X &1203X

Default Excision MM back 21935 vs 1160X &1203X

AAPC: Back to School
    Please help I know I have seen this before. This is a big debate in our office. Dr does an excision of a malignant melanoma of the let say back. He will dictate and say " down to the fascia". not INTO the fasica, but down to... I thought it would be the 1160X and 1203X if into the fasica we could use the 21935 code. Does anyone have any documentation that states the difference between the 2 codes.
    Thank you,

Columbia, MO

At the cancer center the physicians instructed us to use the 21935 code if the documentation would support that this was a soft tissue neoplasm, which they defined as originating withing the soft tissue. Any Neoplsam originating in the integumetary tissues, ie epidermis, dermis, subq tissue we would use the 1160x codes since that was what was being excised out. I am not sure sure if this helps you but it was what we went with.
    Down to the fascia indicates he went thru the subq tissue as in full thickness.

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H

Thank you that does help.

Similar Threads

1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-04-2014, 12:12 AM
  2. Second opinion.... Back mass excision
    By MMillercpc in forum General Surgery
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-18-2009, 07:20 AM
  3. Excision Mass Back
    By Trendale in forum General Surgery
    Replies: 2