AAPC - Back to school
Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: medicare

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Bradenton Fl

    Default medicare

    AAPC: Back to School
    Hi, I have a scenario just say a physician charges 750 for a procedure and medicare only pays 150 can the patient be held accountable to pay the difference if not where do the physician get the funds from or is it just lost revenue? If anyone have knowledge of where I can get documentation I will greatly appreciate it.
    Thanks in advance,

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    San Antonio, Tx


    The difference is what is called "Contractual Adjustments". In other words, you can NOT collect this from the pt. Medicare has a fee schedule that shows what they will allow for procedures that are covered under Medicare. They (Medicare) will only pay 80% and the pt is responsible for the other 20%. Keep in mind that it is 80/20 of the allowable, not the billed amount. This is of course assuming that your Dr is credentialed with Medicare. You can go to http://www.trailblazerhealth.com/ and search the Fee Schedule for the allowables and also on how, what, and who can bill Medicare. Not sure what State you are in so make sure that this site covers your State.
    Ray Galvez CPC

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    North Carolina


    What was performed? Are there multiple procedures involved?

Similar Threads

  1. Medicare Annual Wellness and Welcome to Medicare visits
    By Borlickd in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-04-2013, 07:31 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-17-2012, 12:27 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-18-2011, 11:54 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Enjoying Our Forums?

AAPC forums are a benefit of membership. Joining AAPC grants you unlimited access, allowing you to post questions and participate with our community of over 150,000 professionals.

Join Now Continue Reading Without Full Access

Already a Member?


Close Message

In addition to full participation on AAPC forums, as a member you will be able to:

  • Access to the largest healthcare job database in the world.
  • Join over 150,000 members of the healthcare network in the world.
  • Be a part of an industry leading organization that drives the business side of healthcare.
  • Save anywhere from 10%-50% with exclusive member discounts on courses, books, study materials, and conferences.
  • Access to discounts at hundreds of restaurants, travel destinations, retail stores, and service providers. AAPC members also have opportunities to save on heath, life, and liability insurance.
  • Become a member of a local chapter and attend regular meetings.