The big difference is the purpose of the procedure: You should report 63030 when laminotomy is performed with a diskectomy, to treat spinal disc herniation using either an open procedure or under endoscopic assistance.
The code was revised starting in 2000 to this use, as explained in the November 1999 CPT Assistant:
"Code 63030 has been revised to clarify the appropriate reporting of this code for use when performing laminotomy for diskectomy using open and endoscopic assistance."
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join