Bill ... your example where your urgent care physician performs fracture care ONLY but sends the patient to an orthopaedic surgeon for the follow-up is a perfect scenario for using the -54 modifier on the fracture care code.
If you know the orthopaedic surgeon (perhaps in the same practice?) then I'd coordinate with that surgeon's coder to ensure they use the same fracture care code with the -55 modifier. That will "complete the loop."
Hope that helps.
F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join