Hi. You cannot use time alone. These are the requirements per the above CPT Assistant. 1) The physician must include a record of total time of the visit as well as the time spent in the specific counseling or coordination of care. 2)The note should include a summary of the content of the counseling that occured.
If counseling and/or coordination of care did dominate the visit, then the code is selected based on the total time of the visit.
You can also find these guidelines in the CPT book Evaluation & Management Guidelines.
Christy RHIT, CPC
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join