I personally do not code the 2nd vial. I'm not sure if I'm throwing away money or not, but I don't feel entitled to bill for 80mg if only 60 is used. Maybe it's a coding problem and the AMA needs notified that that happens. It is so rare in my practice, 1-2 times per year, that it doesn't bother me. If it happened more often, I'd look into getting a new code.
I looked further into it and for this particular drug, why wouldn't you use j1020 and j1030? That's a total of 60mg methylprednisolone...
For my problem it was for 40mg Toradol which only comes in 15mg increments...
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join