AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Does anyone know

Question Does anyone know

AAPC: Back to School
    I have a not been able to find anything in writing on this so I hope someone can help me out.

Our doctor did the approach on a back procedure and then turned the procedure over to the other surgeon . We are coding proc 22556 and we are using modifer 62 but my doctor also had a assist and I am not sure if I can bill 62 & 80? Never ran into this before.

Thanks in advance!

North Carolina

If your surgeon performed the approach and the other surgeon performed the fusion, you both would report 22556-62. As for the assistant, there needs to be good documentation to warrant the need of the assistant.

Per CPT Assistant 2-2004 (Excerpt...)

Each surgeon should report the co-surgery by listing the same procedure code with modifier -62 appended to that code. If, during the same surgical session, a co-surgeon acts as an assistant in the performance of an procedure, the assistant services may also be reported. Modifier -80 or modifier -82 would be appended to the code describing the procedure(s) for which the physician provided the assistant services.

This may or may not be helpful, just thought I would post it incase you haven't seen it before.

Laura, CPC, CEMC

Thank you that information does help!