so...about "hip re-surfacing"

Default so...about "hip re-surfacing"
    Medical Coding Books
    anybody doing hip re-surfacing procedures? What code(s) are you using? Are you going with an unlisted...or the 27130,..or the HCPC's S code?. AND more so...WHY are you using the code(s) you're using?

anybody have any REALLY GOOD LINKS to this...there's just so much contradicting information out there, even on AAOS site...

help please
    Donna, CPC, CPC-H

Hi Donna - I instructed my docs to use 27999 for Medicare as instructed by our carrier; S2118 for other insurance. Unfortunately, I don't see all of the charge sheets so I can't say if they are following direction or just coding 27130 (which would be incorrect).
    Lisa Bledsoe, CPC, CPMA

thanks Lisa.. I agree..totally! and it's what I'm suggesting they do, however - you know how that goes. Our ortho doc has "his person", and whatever she says is gold.. they've even shown that the AAOS website says to use it... I say it says "it's in that neighborhood" of procedures BUT to use the unlisted...besides, IF we don't use the unlisted how will a NEW code ever come about? I feel comfortable with the S code... I prefer the unlisted, and I do NOT think we should be using the 27130 for the hip resurfacing procedure!

and again..of the links I've found on this, MOST say to use the unlisted, some say use the 27130 even adding that there isn't a code for hip resurfacing! ... how can they say that in one sentence?.. lol..everyone knows (or should know)..you don't assign a code by "almost" being that procedure...

thanks for your response!
    Donna, CPC, CPC-H

We have been struggling with this also, however in the January 2009 Orthopaedic Coder's Pink Sheet there was a list of "ortho procedures in search of a code" Although I don't necessarily agree with it, the AAOS is saying to use 27130. Not sure if that helps at all! It references using www.ortho-decsions.com for more info

I don't see how 27130 is appropriate since it is less invasive with less work. I located this article on AAOS but I have to disagree with it. (see table 1 under coding resurfacing procedures).
    http://www.aaos.org/news/bulletin/may07/managing9.asp
    Lisa Bledsoe, CPC, CPMA

Although we may not agree with it, keep in mind that the AAOS is our speciality society
    Mary, CPC, CANPC, COSC

Default coding for Hip resurfacing
    Also you should check your payors policy. For example, BCBS requires that you use the S2118 code. If it is not stated I agree that you should go with the AAOS and use 27130.

Tina Wosmek, CPC, COSC