AAPC - Back to school

Thread: What to Bill?

Default What to Bill?

AAPC: Back to School
    Our hospital recently open up an inpatient Psych ward.
    I have some Initial Day visit notes that are not billable as 99221 (don't meet documentation requirements) and I was told to bill 99221 at $0.
    Is there anything else that I could bill?

You would not bill it at 0$. How would you get paid?? You can bill a 99499 and submit documentation. Bill at the same price as 99221 and see if you can get it paid.

I have also heard of people dropping down to the 99231-99233 but that is questionable of if its really appropriate or not.

Does he meet criteria for 90801?

San Diego, California

Exclamation Use subsequent inpatient codes

We have trained extensively on E/M coding in my department, and the instructors have told us to use the subsequent inpatient codes (99231-99233) when the admit E/M does not meet the criteria for 99221. I work in California.

From what I have seen online, some payors may prefer the unlisted E/M code 99499 in this scenario, while others prefer the subsequent code. Medicare published this guideline in May 2007 (Medicare B News): "CPT code 99499 is never to be used to interpolate between two levels of E/M service within a category or subcategory. Rather the next lower code for which all criteria are met is the appropriate choice."

I am curious as to how to code an admit E/M by the principal physician of record for Medicare or an HMO when the criteria for 99221 are not met and -AI is required. I have not seen this situation yet in my inpatient coding.

Kimberly A. Sherman, MA, CPC
    Multi-Specialty Physician Coder/Entrepreneur

I don't do our inpatient billing so I forwarded your e-mail to the people who do it.
    Thank you.

I beleive you can use 90801

We code 90801 if the psychiatrist performed the admission assessment on the day of admission ( documentation need to meed the criteria, see CPT book, Psychiatry section)