Healthcare maintinance help state ???

1. Red face Healthcare maintinance help state ???
    Medical Coding Books
    WHEN A NEW PT COMES IN TO GET ESTABLISHED AND THE PT DOES NOT PRESENT ANY PROBLEMS OR CONCERN, WHAT CAN THE DOCTOR USE AS DIAGNOSIS ? OUR DOCTORS USUALLY USE HEALTHCARE MAINTINANCE AS DIAGNOSIS, BUT THERE THERE IS NO DX CODE FOR THAT. CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT CODE TO USE IN THIS CASE?

THANK YOU ALL IN ADVANCE

MsMADDY

Default "get established" visits
    I do hate to see those "get established" appointments. Usually I tell my docs that if the patient really has NO problems, they should do a complete NP physical 9938X and use dx code V70.0. Of course sometimes the patients don't have preventive benefits, or they had a physical recently at their previous provider's office, but there really isn't anything else for us to do if they don't have a diagnosis.
    Good luck!
    Britta

I think I would agree here. In the absence of a chief complaint, the service would be considered preventative.
    Dawson Ballard, Jr., CPC, CEMC, CPMA, CCS-P, CPC-P, CRHC, AAPC Fellow
    Coder

I have been seeing these "Establish Care" visits as well. My doctors are putting them as problem focused, but I really don't think they should be without a CC. The arguement I get is that for instance a patient comes in for vaccines. The problem is "need for vaccination". Is that right? That doesn't seem right to me? Thoughts?