AAPC - Back to school

Thread: What Is An Interposition Arthoplasty??

Question What Is An Interposition Arthoplasty??

AAPC: Back to School
    The ortho surgeon said he did a distal clavicle resection with a interpositional arthroplasty. He also later called it an acromioplasty. The report shows that he removed .5cm off the distal end of the clavicle, then "an interposition arthroplasty was made with the joint capsule....the joint capsule, pediculated at the distal end of the clavicle, is sutured at the inferior part of the acromion." I thought an acromioplasty was removing part of the acromion???

I think if I were you, I would query the ortho surgeon. Often times the transcriptionist can not understand what the doctor is saying or they "mistype" it. This doesnt make sense to me either, thus the reason to query the surgeon.

Greater Pittsburgh

I'd verify with the physician, also...but it sounds like he did the claviculectomy-partial=23120 and an acromioplasty-partial=23130. FYI.........
    ectomy is excision or removal of; plasty is molding or surgical repair, hope this helps.
    jdemar, CPC, CMA

Similar Threads

1. CPT for Excisional Arthoplasty of the thumb
    By LStana in forum Orthopaedics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-05-2013, 08:57 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-12-2013, 05:57 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-19-2013, 06:28 AM
  4. Interposition gore-tex graft!
    By dpumford in forum Cardiovascular Thoracic