I don't know if this varies from state to state payer to payer but as far as I know CMS will not cover surgical techs as surgical assistants.
In my experience working in Michigan, Ohio, and West Virginia this is not appropriate.
The other thing to consider it does the CST work for the physician or the facility?
Regardless of whether or not they can be billed, if they don't work for the physician it is not an option at all, their cost is built in to the facility fee.
Hope this is even remotely helpful,
Laura, CPC, CEMC
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join