AAPC - Back to school

Thread: wound vac application

Default wound vac application

AAPC: Back to School
    I have a question regarding the placement of a wound vac during surgery by the surgeon. Is this billable for Medicare patient's and if so what would be the correct CPT code? We have been using the CPT code 97605 and are receiving denials for wrong HCPC's code. Should we use HCPC's code A6550 even though the hospital is providing all supplies?

St. Louis, Missouri

It is my understanding that you can not bill separately for placement of drains and wound vacs that are placed during a procedure. As far as code 97605, this code is to be reported by nonphysician professionals (eg, physician assistants, nurse practitioners, wound care nurses, physical therapists)

Melissa Blow, CPC

Red face Wound Vac. Application

Thanks, MMelcam for your quick response to my question.

Default Wound VAC

We had been receiving payment for 97605 until May of 09. I could not find anything on our carriers site to explain why these are now denying. They are denying for invalid place of service when done in or outpatient.

North Carolina

Are your physicians performing wound debridements? If so, see codes 11040-11044, rather than 97605. If the surgeon takes the patient back to the OR to exchange the wound vac, normally this is performed under anesthesia and this would direct you to 15852. Just a side note...The intent of 97605 is to be used by non-physicians.