Yes they can do this but only after their UR evaluates the medical record and makes the decision that the patient more clearly meets the criteria for observation, however the catch here is there must be a physician order for the observation status and the UR is allowed to request this from the physician after discharge. But without the physician order then they may not. Check with your physician to see if he was requested to give an order for conversion to observation. In addition you need to look at the inpatient medical record to see if an order was written and by whom.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join