Thread: EMR with GE program

Question EMR with GE program

Promo: Code Books
    Hi
    I work for a large Pain Mgmt/Anesthesiology group that is preparing to go live with EMR by GE Cintrisity. Does anyone have any experience with this system? I will be one of the very last to receive training on this system, and have been told that all codes are preloaded and easy for the physicians to pick, thus reducing their need for me to review and/or audit each visit. We ae a teaching facility and my fear is that many claim will now be considered "clean" because a computer system says all codes are correct.

I would appreciate any and all feedback regarding our roles as coders with EMR.

Thanks

Default Anecdotal "evidence"

I haven't used this specific program. But a while back I was seeing my doctor and watching him use his new "slick" software where he filled in the elements of his exam and the system coded it for him.

I pointed out that the system had the wrong code. "Oh, no," he said, "this is using the 1997 guidelines and I've got all the bullets marked, so it picks the right level of service."

"Well," I answered," it may be able to pick the right level from the bullets, but you have the wrong TYPE of service ... I'm not a new patient, I'm an established patient."

No matter what system you are going to use, you will have errors. A bullet is checked that shouldn't be; one that WAS performed is NOT checked; consult vs new patient vs established patient. All these kinds of issues need a human to review and double check for accuracy.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC