Annual Review of Chronic Condtion-Preventative?

Default Annual Review of Chronic Condtion-Preventative?
    Exam Training Packages
    Here is the scenario:

A male patient presnts to the office for his annual physicial. This patient has diabetes that is very well controlled that the provider only sees him once a year for an annual review of his chronic condtion. The patient has no other complaints. I have two questions here, please:

1. Would this be considered a preventative exam or disease management? I was always under the impression that preventatives were done in the absence of complaints or for chronic diseases that require an anuual review, but to me if the patient has DM, this would be more disease management and not preventative.

2. Would the dx be V70.0 or the DM?

Thanks.
    Dawson Ballard, Jr., CPC, CEMC, CPMA, CCS-P, CPC-P, CRHC, AAPC Fellow
    Coder

Default annual review
    Quote Originally Posted by dballard2004 View Post
    Here is the scenario:

A male patient presnts to the office for his annual physicial. This patient has diabetes that is very well controlled that the provider only sees him once a year for an annual review of his chronic condtion. The patient has no other complaints. I have two questions here, please:

1. Would this be considered a preventative exam or disease management? I was always under the impression that preventatives were done in the absence of complaints or for chronic diseases that require an anuual review, but to me if the patient has DM, this would be more disease management and not preventative.

2. Would the dx be V70.0 or the DM?

Thanks.
    If the patient presents for his annual (that's my key) with no complaints other than his chronic conditions/illnesses then I would count it as preventive. This is just his yearly visit, no problems or complications reported. The DM would be listed as a secondary diagnosis and any management for that (blood work etc.). So, in this instance then the diagnosis I would use as primary would be the V70.0 and the DM as secondary.
    Anna Weaver, CPC, CPMA, CEMC
    Associate Auditor

Thanks so much! I just needed some reassurance!
    Dawson Ballard, Jr., CPC, CEMC, CPMA, CCS-P, CPC-P, CRHC, AAPC Fellow
    Coder