Yes, "flare" is a synonym for exacerbation. You can test the right or wrongness of assigninig an asthma exacerbation against the cc and the tx performed at the time of visit.
A. did the pt present with difficulty breathing? i.e wheezing, short of breath, a poor pulse ox?
B. tx aimed at controlling immediate sx's i.e neb treatment, IV/injection of steroids?
An exacerbation presents itself with acute signs and symptoms and necessitates immediate response.
For assurance, you can query the provider.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join