This is a very interesting case, I would like to see some others answer as well.
Here goes my answer..
62267 "Percutaneous aspiration within the nucleas pulposus ...is a new code and per Correct Coding Initiative includes the biopsy code 20225 so they should not be billed together.
However, when they are two separate procedures (as they are in this report IMO), the CCI allows for a modifier to be used.
I would code as such:
and I would be prepared to send documentation to support the codes to the payor. Good luck.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join