There are no billing codes specific to cord blood collection. Codes that have been recommended by various coding sources are as follows:
S2140 (cord blood harvesting for transplantation, allogeneic)
59899 (unlisted procedure, maternity care and delivery)
36406 (venipuncture, needle, or catheter for diagnostic study or intravenous
therapy, percutaneous (other vein))
Sources: OB/GYN Coding Alert, OB/GYN Reimbursement and Compliance Report, Ingenix Coding, and the ACOG Coding Committee. Please note that CPT Code 38231 was discontinued in 2002. The November 2003 OB/GYN Reimbursement and Compliance Report strongly discourages the use of codes 38205 and 38206.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join