What is the correct place of service?

Question What is the correct place of service?
    Medical Coding Books
    Our clinic leases space to the local hospital for Radiology (staffed by hospital employees and the equipment is owned by the hosptiat). Our Urologists perform fiducial marker placement (55876) in the Radiology department using the hospital owned ultrasound equip and tech services. What is the correct place of service - outpatient hospital becuase it is the leased space of the hospital or office because our docs own the building? I say outpatient hospital but have encountered a difference of opinion...
    Lisa Bledsoe, CPC, CPMA

I would agree with you and say outpatient hospital since it is staffed by the hospital and they have their own equipment.....

If anyone has some supporting documentation/links to support either viewpoint it would be greatly appreciated.

The other issue I have is that we have a Radiologist as a partner in the clinic, and he is reporting his readings as office location...Again, I think it should be outpatient hospital...

PLEASE HELP
    Lisa Bledsoe, CPC, CPMA

Quote Originally Posted by kjstearns View Post
    I would agree with you and say outpatient hospital since it is staffed by the hospital and they have their own equipment.....
    Thank you. At least I am not alone in this point of view....
    Lisa Bledsoe, CPC, CPMA

We have questioned that here with several insurance companies when we had payor problems (we have several facilities) but have always come up with 11 "location other than a hospital" since 22 specifically states "a portion of the hospital"

But isn't the leased area technically a portion of the hospital? Is there something that states that the "portion of the hospital" has to be on the actual hospital campus?
    Lisa Bledsoe, CPC, CPMA

Thanks Machelle. How does it qualify as an ASC though?
    Lisa Bledsoe, CPC, CPMA

Lisa...I agree with you but I did send this question out to another forum that I'm on and this was one response...

"The hospital is leasing the space, owns the equipment and pays the staff. As such, I would call this OP hospital. In order to be "Office", the practice would need to bear these expenses."

I wish I had a reference at the tip of my fingers...If I find one, I'll post it.

Thanks Rebecca - that is very helpful.
    Lisa Bledsoe, CPC, CPMA