Title: Coding Consultation: Questions and Answers
Surgery: Digestive System
Question:What is the correct code for laparoscopic repair of an initial, incarcerated, inguinal hernia?
Answer:Code 49659, Unlisted laparoscopy, procedure, hernioplasty, herniorrhaphy, herniotomy, is the appropriate code to report. If a laparoscopic procedure is performed but no CPT code accurately describes the laparoscopic procedure, the corresponding open procedure code should not be reported. An open procedure code should never be reported to describe a procedure that was performed laparoscopically. When an unlisted code is reported to describe a procedure or service, it will be necessary to submit supporting documentation (eg, procedure report) along with the claim to provide an adequate description of the nature, extent, and need for the procedure and the time, effort, and equipment necessary to provide the service.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join