Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Getting a job with only a CPC-A

Exam Training Packages
    what department did you start out in the health department???

Primary care, pediatrics and ob/gyn.... it's basically a grouo practice and the one I was at did all of these services so I got variety of experience. Look on your states website for jobs. It's not always stated as coding so you have to read the description of the job.
    Alecia Peck CPC

3. Default Frustrated, too
    I totally agree with "frustrated". In my area the bigger metropilitan areas are 1-2 hours away -- too far to communte and there is NOTHING in this area. I have searched weekly since May when I got my CPC-A. The same ol' story - the few jobs that are out there require 2-5 years experience. I am working at my old admin job 3 days a week and at an internal med doctor 2 days. He can't use me any more than that and I don't do any coding. (and they don't code correctly but won't listen to me). I do mostly A/R and answer phones and don't make much $. I am very discouraged and may just fall back on my years of administrative experience and forget this all together.

Question Little nervous
    I am finishing school and I also joined the AAPC and will be studing for the exam. I am really nervous about finding a job but after I pass the exam I am thinking of taking an XTern ship to get some experience along with sending out resumes. I have read the above responses and am trying to learn how to get employment coding.

The Health Department is a great idea! I am going to check into this!!! I too am frustrated in finding any type of work in the medical field. I have applied for collections, billing, medical records, customer/patient relations-you name it. Seems I am overqualified for some jobs and underqualified to code.

An xternship would be super! There isn't anywhere in my area willing to sponsor one-paid or unpaid. I comprised a list of places and contact and submitted them to the AAPC.

Do a search for managed care organizations in your state. One I know of just hired 2 coders right out of school. It's payer work, but you can get some provider experience along with it.

I got my start in claims processing and am now a physican coder, so don't rule out insurance companies just because it isn't your ideal workplace.

u r already a AAPC member - contact them about the Extern Program which doesn't pay but provides experience - this is what got me started today and I am trying to get answers as well to whether or not the locality I am in has any participants hiring externs - Good Luck D

8. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by lmikkola View Post
    Do a search for managed care organizations in your state. One I know of just hired 2 coders right out of school. It's payer work, but you can get some provider experience along with it.

I got my start in claims processing and am now a physican coder, so don't rule out insurance companies just because it isn't your ideal workplace.
    How long did it take you to become a physician coder?

Quote Originally Posted by dsgn View Post
    How long did it take you to become a physician coder?
    I was a claims processor with the insurance company for a year, then used that experience to get in the door at a hospital. I took a medical records position for 2 years while I was taking the coding courses part time. Right after graduation I took my CPC exam and started working as an ER coder at the same hospital within a month... so 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by bdoske View Post
    I have recently got my CPC-A and have had a lot of denials on job positions. I am finding that most of the postings are wanting at least two years experience to qualify for the position. Therefore only having 1 year is not qualifying me for those jobs. Does anyone have an suggestions on how to over come this and how to sell yourself. I just find it frustrating trying to get a job with no experience but you need it to get hired. How do you get that experience without someone giving you a chance. Its a catch 22.
    Ask the same places that you sent your resume to if they have any other positions available. (front desk, med. assistant, billing clerk, etc.) Then just work your way up little by little. Once they see your a good worker +PLUS have your CPC-A cert. they might consider you as there next biller.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12