Can you bill units for excision codes?

Default Can you bill units for excision codes?
    Medical Coding Books
    I need help. The podiatrist I code for tries to bill multiple units say for example code 28122 or 28104. He even said he makes one incision but does things to multiple bones/toes? Does anyone with Podiatry expertise know if this is correct. Our AHCCCS reps say no per AMA/CPT guidelines. My Dr wants to see this in writing. If anyone has any links they can forward me regarding this , that would also be a tremendous help.

Thank You!!!

Kristin F. CPC

At our office one cut one procedure because that is how the insurance companies audit. Now if the doctor is doing multiple procedures on multiple toes in one cut you can use the TA - T9 modifiers to show the multiple procedures but be sure the doctor documents each procedure well. But the insurance company might see it as one cut one procedure.
    Tammy Hulsey-Ferguson, CPC
    Past President AAPC Wichita, KS Local Chapter

Thank you Tammy. If you see any other questions from me, please respond. You really know your podiatry coding!!! Thanks so much! We took over this Dr.'s account and it was somewhat of a mess. He also does not know the guidelines too well. He always wants somthing in writing.
    Thanks again!!

Kris

I have been in the podiatry field for over 8 years. I am glad that am helpful.
    Tammy Hulsey-Ferguson, CPC
    Past President AAPC Wichita, KS Local Chapter

Similar Threads

1. 62141 Should I bill in units of Lt and rt
    By TishCpc in forum Plastic Surgery
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-15-2015, 11:41 AM
  2. How many units to bill for IM Kenalog?
    By Texascoder64 in forum Dermatology
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-08-2014, 04:27 PM
  3. Can you bill 2 units on 15734
    By JACKIMARKERT@YAHOO.COM in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-04-2014, 01:19 PM
  4. How to Bill Methotrexate Units?
    By tfrick2 in forum Rheumatology
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-14-2013, 07:30 PM
  5. 64450 Do we bill by units