The 1995 guidelines are quite vague and do NOT do a good job of identifying what they mean.
I usually look at the 1997 guidelines to see where something will fall (Yes, I know, you are using 1995 - so am I. But 1997 is so specific it helps to clarify.)
So using your examples: my doctor will state something like,
NECK: Supple, Thyroid gland not enlarged.
1997 lists the Thyroid under NECK ... so this entire statement would just count as Neck (a body area)
If your physician had also mentioned "No lymphadenopathy" ... per 1997 this would be under Lymphatic system.
Hope that helps.
F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join