The CDC is stating that a positive Type A flu is 99% positive H1N1, however I would not code for H1N1 without a positive H1N1 test which is not immediate, these take several days to come back. The test for rapid type A is immediate. If you have a positive Type A you should code 487.1 even though there is a strong suspicion that it is H1N1. You would only code the 488.1 with a positive confirmation. The 488.1 code states identifednovel H1N1 influenza virus.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join