This was a question once presented at a Medicare meeting I attended. The response was...some charge entry staff applied modifier 51 to the wrong procedure code. As a result, the code with the highest RVU's had the 50% reduction taken rather than the lesser one.
Our region prefers that we do not apply the modifier 51. They have edits in place to automatically add the 51 modifier so that the correct adjustments are taken.
- ICD-10 Training
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join