No, the STS still says you can only use this code with re-do CABGs and valves (and code 33863). It sounds like they fought hard for this code and the best they could get was re-do CABG and valves. If your surgeon is doing another procedure requiring a re-do sternotomy, you could add the -22 modifier if the documentation supports the increased difficulty.
Lisi Harkleroad CPC
Coding & Billing Analyst
Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery
Northwestern Medical Faculty Foundation, Inc.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join