Yes, it clearly supports a 99214.
Sore throat could be any number of things so how can you say what the medical necessity just based on a chief complaint of sore throat and a negative strep test? A patient with Mono will test negative for strep and generally complains of a sore throat, they also run the risk of their spleen rupturing. Would you consider them lower risk?
In this case it is a straight 4, many times you won't have that detailed exam on these visits but they are still 4s.
Laura, CPC, CEMC
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join