Does this type of coding book exist?

Default Does this type of coding book exist?
    Exam Training Packages
    I have a cross coder book that is grouped by CPT code and under the CPT code it tells what ICD-9 codes are payable for that procedure. I am wondering if there is a book that does the opposite. One that is grouped by ICD-9/diagnosis and then tells all the procedures that can be performed for that condition. I have looked all over and cannot find anything like this. I am wondering if anyone else knows of such a book.

Thanks

?? but if there's already one that lists all the CPT codes, and then all the covered dx's under it...
    why would you need one in reverse? it's all there.. you'd just look up the CPT code you're billing/coding out - and as you say, the covered dx's are under it.

I guess I'm wondering what difference it makes which way you look it up - via CPT or DX..
    Donna, CPC, CPC-H

It is something the nurses where I work requested. They feel that type of book would be more beneficial for them then one grouped by CPT. Not sure why, I didn't question it.

Let us hope that they are not using this as a "cookie cutter" to mark superbills or list codes for billing. I think these kinds of books can be a dangerous tool and are often abused.

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H

I work for a payer, so it wouldn't be used to mark up superbills or list codes for billing. The nurses that asked about the book work in the appeals department.

I feel a little bit better. Did you see the memo effective October 13 about overididing LCDs and NCDs? It was directed to auditors.

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H

Debra, I did read that and sent copies around the office to anyone I thought could use it. We follow a lot of Medicare guidelines and it is nice to have something in writing that states in rare and unusual circumstances, we can apply an exception to the LCD's. Thanks for mentioning the memo. I will take all the info I can get.

Quote Originally Posted by AmyCPCCPCH View Post
    It is something the nurses where I work requested. They feel that type of book would be more beneficial for them then one grouped by CPT. Not sure why, I didn't question it.
    ohh... probably because they know more dx's ...easier than looking up the procedure... I see. thanks!!
    Donna, CPC, CPC-H