modifier EA,EB,EC for Procrit

Default modifier EA,EB,EC for Procrit
    Medical Coding Books
    If I have a patient with diagnosis of 285.9 and 238.72 and the cht level is 30.9. If you use EA modifier it will be denied because the hct is above 30, if you use EC modifier is will be denied because of diagnosis, is EB the correct modifier to use is this scenario, or is there another modifier I should be using for Medicare patients??????????

2. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by jhack View Post
    If I have a patient with diagnosis of 285.9 and 238.72 and the cht level is 30.9. If you use EA modifier it will be denied because the hct is above 30, if you use EC modifier is will be denied because of diagnosis, is EB the correct modifier to use is this scenario, or is there another modifier I should be using for Medicare patients??????????
    What is the documented reason for the anemia?

We bill these out just like we do for chronic kidney disease by using modifier EC and the hemoglobin needs to be less than 12.

4. Default New Requirements for Modifier for Procrit - Mcaid
    We discovered today that Medicaid made a change effective June 1, 2014 in the use of modifier EC for J0885 (Procrit).

Does anyone know the new modifier that we are supposed to use?

Thanks so much,

Bonnie Morgan

Similar Threads

1. Procrit
    By YesicaRuedas in forum Hematology/Oncology
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-29-2013, 12:26 PM
  2. Procrit modifier EA,EB,EC for Medicare
    By jhack in forum Modifiers
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-29-2009, 10:13 AM
  3. Procrit J0885