I saw your response to this previous post so I wanted to get your feedback...but here is the situation...it's a little different.
The patient had previously undergone bilateral mastectomy and immediate bilateral tissue expander AlloDerm reconstruction. Patient developed complications (within the global period) from the left tissue expander (left breast drain infection) and was readmitted, where the left chest tissue expander was removed and replaced.
This situation is different in that the permanent prosthesis has not yet been inserted.
The original breast reconstruction code of 19357 was used, and now we need to code the procedure to remove and replace the left chest tissue expander without prosthesis. The following codes are not appropriate: 11960 (other than breast), 11970 (with prosthesis), 19330 (tissue expander is not implant material), and 19380 (not a revision of a reconstructed breast).
Do you think the phrase 'including subsequent expansion' in 19357 would refer to any time a tissue expander is removed and/or replaced, regardless of the reason, i.e., infection, leakage, defective, more expansion is needed, etc., and therefore would be nothing further to code? There is code 11971, but that is just for the removal of the tissue expander...does not code for the replacement.
Please advise; your help is much appreciated!
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join